Friday, February 1, 2013

I have bipolar disorder; I am strong; I am happy. Join me.

I have bipolar disorder . . .

I suffer from bipolar II. This is not bipolar "lite" -- people with bipolar II have a suicide rate at least as high as those with bipolar I. My particular type of bipolar II, one that has been permanently accelerated and amplified by repeated inappropriate prescription of antidepressants, is the most disabling and dangerous. Although I had a long career and was a workaholic, I was knocked out of the workforce and determined to be 100% disabled. I don't have a "mild" case of bipolar disorder; I am strongly bipolar.

I am strong . . .

I've suffered from mental illness since before puberty, but I raised two children (including a stint as a single Mom), started my own business, had a 3-decade career that began with clerical work and ended with a six-figure technology management position (all without a single college credit).  I never was fired or collected unemployment, never was arrested, and never had even a moving violation, I survived childhood in a violent household, marriage to a 19-year-old cop before I was out of high school, teenage motherhood 10 months later, a nasty divorce and custody suit (which I won), bankruptcy (due to the custody suit), and 9/11.

I am happy . . .

In 2002 I was heading towards marriage with the love of my life. I was a workaholic technologist with a comfortable income. Anxiety disorders and a misdiagnosed mood disorder had troubled me since childhood. In 2012 I was divorced; my mood disorder was more severe (ultra-rapid cycling, drug-resistant bipolar); my anxiety was worse; I was going through menopause; I'd been unable to work for years; my only income was a social security check that was 85% less than my last paycheck; and . . . my life was so good my friends and family were jealous. 

Join me . . .

I learned how to be strong, and I learned how to be happy. I could have done it better and sooner, if I'd had
someone to point the way. I'm sharing my story and my techniques in hope that at least one other person suffering from bipolar disorder will be able to strengthen themselves, build a life well worth living, and do so faster and more successfully than I.


Joanne Shortell
servicehuman@servicepoodle.com
www.servicepoodle.com
www.facebook.com/servicepoodle
www.linkedin.com/in/joanneshortell
www.maevetour.blogspot.com
http://www.quora.com/Joanne-Shortell
phone: (860) 356-4637

Joanne and Maeve (her psychiatric service poodle) help people with psychiatric disabilities discover their rights to emotional support animals in no-pets housing without pet deposits or pet fees and their rights to service dogs

Joanne travels across the U.S. twice a year and would love to speak to your group.  See http://www.servicepoodle.com/service-poodle-outreach-outdoors-tour 

5 comments:

  1. This is fabulous! Thank you for sharing. I was recently diagnosed with bipolar ll after 6 years of thinking I just had depression, and I just started working with my dog to use her as a PSD. It's so encouraging to see all you have done and accomplished and that you can say you really enjoy your life. I'm moving toward that I hope:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment, I really appreciated feedback. You might be interested in my website: www.servicepoodle.com. You can find information about the laws in the U.S. that give us the right to emotional support animals and psychiatric service dogs. There's a link to my free booklet with footnotes leading back to authoritative sites that you can download and print. There are also documents from the DOJ, with their seal on them, that you can carry with you to educate businesses who may not be following the law and regulations.

      Delete
    2. Very cool, thanks! I love that you are using a service poodle. My dog is a Cavalier, and just yesterday I got to explain to someone that not all service dogs are labs.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I admire your perseverance to be successful, Joanne. This just proves that bipolar disorder is something you can overcome. Courage and strength is one of the key points in defeating disorder and you have just that. You didn’t let this illness take over; instead, you kicked it in the can. Good luck in your future endeavors and I hope you help a lot more people! :)

    Russel Dill @ Kenosis Center

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. It came at a good time. I've been acting as an advocate for a person in my DBSA (Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance) support group who was illegally committed just before Labor Day weekend. The issue ended a few days ago (the person was ordered released) and I'm exhausted. Thank you very much for a bit of inspiration I can use to get back to my more usual advocacy, education, and outreach work.

      Delete